Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification
Post-baccalaureate certification programs are designed for individuals who already hold bachelors' degrees and who wish to earn teacher certification. The courses taken for the Post-baccalaureate program do not lead to a degree. Instead, completion of the program qualifies students to take the required state certification examinations.
If you have already earned a baccalaureate degree from a college or university in the United States** and are seeking teacher certification:
- Apply for admission to The University of Texas at Austin as a transfer student. For an application or information about the process and the major code for which you would apply, contact the Office of Admissions at UT Austin. Admission deadlines for former UT Austin students are May 1 for summer, July 1 for fall, and December 1 for spring. For students who have never attended UT Austin, admission deadlines are March 1 for summer or fall, and October 1 for spring.
- Depending on what coursework you are lacking for certification, you may be ready to apply for admission to the Professional Development Sequence (deadlines are March 1 for fall admission and October 1 for spring admission). This is a separate application from the application for admission to The University. However, some certification programs have a Professional Development Sequence that starts in the fall only, and one has a Professional Development Sequence that starts in the spring only. The Field Experiences Office can be reached at (512) 471-1511.
** Students who have earned their baccalaureate degree from a college or university in a country other than the United States will be required to complete about 30 additional semester hours of general education coursework. The TOEFL exam may also be required.
Post-baccalaureate certification programs offered through the College of Education:
- Post-Baccalaureate in EC - 6th grade Generalist (degree plan, PDF)
- Post-Baccalaureate in EC - 6th grade Bilingual (degree plan, PDF)
- Post-Baccalaureate in All-Level Special Education (degree plan, PDF)
- Post-Baccalaureate in All-Level Teacher Certification in Kinesiology (degree plan, PDF)
The College of Education also offers graduate degrees in Education that include certification in English language and reading arts or social studies at the Secondary level, which are available through the UTeach Urban Teachers program. A graduate degree in Education that includes certification in all-level physical education is available through the Physical Education Teacher Education program.
For Post-Baccalaureate programs in other fields, please review Other Teacher Certification programs at UT-Austin