Office & Hours
Office: BEL 822F
Open door policy!
Courses of Instruction
KIN325K Physiology of Exercise
KIN379H Honors Tutorial Course
KIN 382 Advanced Laboratory Techniques in Exercise Physiology
KIN395 Advanced Exercise Physiology II
The University of Texas at Austin
Department of Kinesiology & Health Education
2109 San Jacinto Blvd.
Austin, Texas 78712-1415
UT Mail Code: D3700
Dr. Tanaka is a Professor and the Director of the Cardiovascular Aging Research Laboratory at the University of Texas at Austin. He received a B.A. in physical education/martial arts at the International Budo (Martial Arts) University in Japan, a M.S. in human bioenergetics from Ball State University, and a Ph.D. in applied physiology from the University of Tennessee. He completed his postdoctoral fellowship in cardiovascular physiology at the University of Ciolorado at Boulder. Dr. Tanaka’s research interests revolve around preventive cardiology and preventive gerontology, with primary research interests involving habitual exercise, aging, and vascular function. He has published over 190 research articles in journals such as Circulation and the Journal of Physiology. He is an elected fellow of various professional organizations including the American Heart Association, the American College of Sports Medicine, the Gerontological Society of America, and the Society for Geriatric Cardiology.
Ph.D. 1995 University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (Applied/Exercise Physiology)
- Miles, S.C., C.C. Chou, H.F. Lin, S. Hunter, M. Dhindsa, N. Nualnim, and H. Tanaka. Arterial blood pressure and hemodynamic responses to yoga practice. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine. 19(1): 38-45, 2013.
- Gonzales, M.M., T. Tarumi, S. Kaur, H. Tanaka, and A.P. Haley. Aerobic fitness & the brain: increased N-acetyl-aspartate and choline concentrations in endurance-trained middle-aged adults. Brain Topography. 26(1): 126-134, 2013.
- Fallow, B.A., T. Tarumi, and H. Tanaka. Influence of skin type and wavelength on light wave reflectance. Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing. 27(3): 313-317, 2013.
- Hunter, S.D., T. Tarumi, M. Dhindsa, N. Nualnim, and H. Tanaka. Hatha yoga and vascular function: Results from cross-sectional and interventional studies. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies. 17: 322-327. 2013.
- Haley, A.P., M.M. Gonzales, T. Tarumi, and H. Tanaka. Dyslipidemia links obesity to early cerebral neurochemical alterations. Obesity. 21(10): 2007-2013, 2013.
- Tarumi, T., M.M. Gonzales, B. Fallow, N. Nualnim, J. Lee, H. Tanaka, and A.P. Haley. Aerobic fitness and cognitive function in midlife: an association mediated by plasma insulin. Metabolic Brain Disease. 28(4): 727-730, 2013.
- Hunter, S.D., M. Dhindsa, E. Cunningham, T. Tarumi, M. Alkatan, N. Nualnim, and H. Tanaka. Improvements in glucose tolerance with Bikram yoga in older obese adults: a pilot study. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies. 17(4): 404-407, 2013.
- Tanaka, H. Culprit for low aerobic fitness in Down syndrome: Is deconditioning guilty as charged? Exercise and Sports Sciences Reviews. 41(3): 137, 2013.
- Tarumi, T., M.M. Gonzales, B. Fallow, N. Nualnim, M. Pyron, H. Tanaka, and A.P. Haley. Central artery stiffness, neuropsychological function, and cerebral perfusion in sedentary and endurance-trained middle-aged adults. Journal of Hypertension. 31(12): 2400-2409, 2013.
- Hunter, S.D., M.S. Dhindsa, E. Cunningham, T. Tarumi, M. Alkatan, N. Nualnim, and H. Tanaka. The effect of Bikram yoga on arterial stiffness in young and older adults. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 19(12): 930-934, 2013.
- Lin, H.F., M.S. Dhindsa, T. Tarumi, S.C. Miles, D. Umpierre, and H. Tanaka. Impact of blood pressure cuff inflation rates on flow-mediated dilatation and contralateral arm response. Journal of Human Hypertension. 26(1): 35-40, 2012.
- Eagan, D.E., M.M. Gonzales, T. Tarumi, H. Tanaka, S. Stauberg, and A.P. Haley. Elevated c-reactive protein relates to increased cerebral myo-inositol levels in middle-aged adults. Cardiovascular Psychiatry and Neurology. 2012: 1-9, 2012.
- Nualnim, N., K. Parkhurst, M. Dhindsa, T. Tarumi, J. Vavrek, and H. Tanaka. Effects of swimming training on blood pressure and vascular function in adults >50 years of age. American Journal of Cardiology. 109(7): 1005-1010, 2012.
- Parkhurst, K., H.F. Lin, A.E. Devan, J.N. Barnes, T. Tarumi, and H. Tanaka. Contribution of blood viscosity in the assessment of flow-mediated dilation and arterial stiffness. Vascular Medicine. 17(4): 231-234, 2012.
- Dhindsa, M., J. Sugawara, and H. Tanaka. Hemodynamic impacts of entrainment of heart rate and stride rate. Artery Research. 6(3): 136-140, 2012.
- Gonzales, M.M., T. Tarumi, D.E. Eagan, M. Vaghasia, H. Tanaka, and A.P. Haley. Indirect effects of elevated body mass index on memory performance through altered cerebral metabolite concentrations. Psychosomatic Medicine. 74(7): 691-698, 2012.
- Vavrek, J., and H. Tanaka. Progression of athletic performance in age-group swimmers in the past 50 years. International Journal of Performance Analysis of Sport. 12(3): 608-613, 2012.
- Barnes, J.N. and H. Tanaka. Cardiovascular benefits of habitual exercise in systemic lupus erythematosus. Physician and Sports Medicine. 40(3): 43-48, 2012.
- Tanaka, H. Aging athlete. In “Encyclopedia of Exercise Medicine in Health and Disease” F.C. Mooren (ed). Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany. pp40-43, 2012.
- Haley, A.P., M.M. Gonzales, T. Tarumi, and H. Tanaka. Subclinical vascular disease and cerebral glutamate elevation in metabolic syndrome. Metabolic Brain Disease. 27(4): 513-520, 2012.
- National Institute on Aging Pepper Center study section member
- American Heart Association behavioral science, epidemiology, & prevention peer review committee chair
- Research Administration Volunteer Recognition Award, American Heart Association
- Top 25 Reviewers, Journal of Applied Physiology
- Frontiers in Physiology Research Host Award
Current Research Projects and Grants
- “Effects of fluid milk in attenuating hyperglycemia and hypertriglyceridemia after meal”
- “Regular swimming, vascular function, & arthritis”
- “Hypotensive effects of conventional dairy products: Role of arterial stiffness"
Research Interests and Expertise
- Influence of age and lifestyle modifications (particularly physical activity) on vascular function and disease risk
- Masters athletes and athletic performance
- Physiology of swimming
Boards, Committees and Associations
- American College of Sports Medicine, Fellow
- American Heart Association, Fellow
- Gerontological Society of America, Fellow