Office & Hours
Office: BEL 822F
Open door policy!
The University of Texas at Austin
Department of Kinesiology & Health Education
2109 San Jacinto Blvd.
Austin, Texas 78712-1415
UT Mail Code: D3700
Dr. Tanaka is a Professor and the Director of the Cardiovascular Aging Research Laboratory at the University of Texas at Austin. He received a B.A. in physical education/martial arts at the International Budo (Martial Arts) University in Japan, a M.S. in human bioenergetics from Ball State University, and a Ph.D. in applied physiology from the University of Tennessee. He completed his postdoctoral fellowship in cardiovascular physiology at the University of Ciolorado at Boulder. Dr. Tanaka’s research interests revolve around preventive cardiology and preventive gerontology, with primary research interests involving habitual exercise, aging, and vascular function. He has published over 190 research articles in journals such as Circulation and the Journal of Physiology. He is an elected fellow of various professional organizations including the American Heart Association, the American College of Sports Medicine, the Gerontological Society of America, and the Society for Geriatric Cardiology.
Ph.D. 1995 University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (Applied/Exercise Physiology)
- Lin, H.F., M.S. Dhindsa, T. Tarumi, S.C. Miles, D. Umpierre, and H. Tanaka. Impact of blood pressure cuff inflation rates on flow-mediated dilatation and contralateral arm response. Journal of Human Hypertension. 26(1): 35-40, 2012.
- Eagan, D.E., M.M. Gonzales, T. Tarumi, H. Tanaka, S. Stauberg, and A.P. Haley. Elevated c-reactive protein relates to increased cerebral myo-inositol levels in middle-aged adults. Cardiovascular Psychiatry and Neurology. 2012: 1-9, 2012.
- Nualnim, N., K. Parkhurst, M. Dhindsa, T. Tarumi, J. Vavrek, and H. Tanaka. Effects of swimming training on blood pressure and vascular function in adults >50 years of age. American Journal of Cardiology. 109(7): 1005-1010, 2012.
- Parkhurst, K., H.F. Lin, A.E. Devan, J.N. Barnes, T. Tarumi, and H. Tanaka. Contribution of blood viscosity in the assessment of flow-mediated dilation and arterial stiffness. Vascular Medicine. 17(4): 231-234, 2012.
- Dhindsa, M., J. Sugawara, and H. Tanaka. Hemodynamic impacts of entrainment of heart rate and stride rate. Artery Research. 6(3): 136-140, 2012.
- Gonzales, M.M., T. Tarumi, D.E. Eagan, M. Vaghasia, H. Tanaka, and A.P. Haley. Indirect effects of elevated body mass index on memory performance through altered cerebral metabolite concentrations. Psychosomatic Medicine. 74(7): 691-698, 2012.
- Vavrek, J., and H. Tanaka. Progression of athletic performance in age-group swimmers in the past 50 years. International Journal of Performance Analysis of Sport. 12(3): 608-613, 2012.
- Barnes, J.N. and H. Tanaka. Cardiovascular benefits of habitual exercise in systemic lupus erythematosus. Physician and Sports Medicine. 40(3): 43-48, 2012.
- Tanaka, H. Aging athlete. In “Encyclopedia of Exercise Medicine in Health and Disease” F.C. Mooren (ed). Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany. pp40-43, 2012.
- Haley, A.P., M.M. Gonzales, T. Tarumi, and H. Tanaka. Subclinical vascular disease and cerebral glutamate elevation in metabolic syndrome. Metabolic Brain Disease. 27(4): 513-520, 2012.
- National Institute on Aging Pepper Center study section member
- American Heart Association behavioral science, epidemiology, & prevention peer review committee chair
- Research Administration Volunteer Recognition Award, American Heart Association
- Top 25 Reviewers, Journal of Applied Physiology
- Frontiers in Physiology Research Host Award
Current Research Projects and Grants
- “Effects of fluid milk in attenuating hyperglycemia and hypertriglyceridemia after meal”
- “Regular swimming, vascular function, & arthritis”
- “Hypotensive effects of conventional dairy products: Role of arterial stiffness"
Research Interests and Expertise
- Influence of age and lifestyle modifications (particularly physical activity) on vascular function and disease risk
- Masters athletes and athletic performance
- Physiology of swimming
Boards, Committees and Associations
- American College of Sports Medicine, Fellow
- American Heart Association, Fellow
- Gerontological Society of America, Fellow