Office & Hours
Office: BEL 822F
Open door policy!
Courses of Instruction
KIN325K Physiology of Exercise
KIN379H Honors Tutorial Course
KIN 382 Advanced Laboratory Techniques in Exercise Physiology
KIN395 Advanced Exercise Physiology II
The University of Texas at Austin
Department of Kinesiology & Health Education
2109 San Jacinto Blvd.
Austin, Texas 78712-1415
UT Mail Code: D3700
download vita (pdf)
Dr. Tanaka is a Professor and the Director of the Cardiovascular Aging Research Laboratory at the University of Texas at Austin. He received a B.A. in physical education/martial arts at the International Budo (Martial Arts) University in Japan, a M.S. in human bioenergetics from Ball State University, and a Ph.D. in applied physiology from the University of Tennessee. He completed his postdoctoral fellowship in cardiovascular physiology at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Dr. Tanaka’s research interests revolve around vascular aging that manifests as the stiffening (hardening) of large elastic artery and vascular endothelial dysfunction. A variety of topics that encompass physiological mechanism that mediate vascular aging, sequel or consequences of age-related vascular dysfunction such as cognitive dysfunction, and lifestyle modifications that prevent and reverse vascular dysfunction with aging are being investigated in his research laboratory. Masters athletes or aging competitive athletes are often studied as the model of successful aging.
Ph.D. 1995 University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (Applied/Exercise Physiology)
Machin, D.R., W. Park, M. Alkatan, M. Mouton, and H. Tanaka. Effects of non-fat dairy products added to the routine diet on vascular function: A randomized controlled crossover trial. Nutrition, Metabolism, and Cardiovascular Disease. 25(4): 364-369, 2015.
Strasser, B., M. Arvandi, E. Pasha, A.P. Haley, P. Stanforth, and H. Tanaka. Abdominal obesity is associated with arterial stiffness in middle-aged adults. Nutrition, Metabolism, and Cardiovascular Disease. 25(5): 495-502, 2015.
Pasha, E.P., S.S. Kaur, M.M. Gonzales, D.R. Machin, H. Tanaka, and A.P. Haley. Vascular function, cerebral cortical thickness, and cognitive performance in middle-aged Hispanic and non-Hispanic Caucasian adults. Journal of Clinical Hypertension. 17(4): 306-312,
Sugawara, J. and Tanaka, H. Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity: myths, misconceptions, and realities. Pulse (Basel). 3(2): 106-113, 2015.
Tanaka, H., M. Miyachi, H. Murakami, S. Maeda, and J. Sugawara. Attenuated age-related increases in arterial stiffness in Japanese vs. American women. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 63(6): 1170-1174, 2015.
Elmenshawy, A., D.R. Machin, and H. Tanaka. A rise in peak performance age in female athletes. AGE. 37(3): 9795, 2015.
Akkari, A., D.R. Machin, and H. Tanaka. Greater progression of athletic performance in older Masters athletes. Age and Ageing. 44(4): 683-686, 2015.
Kaur, S., M.M. Gonzales, E. Pasha, B. Strasser, H. Tanaka, and A.P. Haley. Central adiposity and cortical thickness in midlife. Psychosomatic Medicine. 77(6): 671-678, 2015.
Pearman, M.E. and H. Tanaka. A lower % investment in dairy in the volatile hypertensive environment. World Journal of Hypertension. 5(3): 104-106, 2015.
Tanaka, H. Effects of regular exercise on arterial stiffness. In “Effects of Exercise on Hypertension: From Cells to Physiological Systems” Pescatello, L.S. (ed.) Humana Press, New York, NY. pp185-201, 2015.
Laosiripisan, J., T. Tarumi, M.M. Gonzales, A.P. Haley, and H. Tanaka. Association between cardiovagal baroreflex sensitivity and cerebral perfusion at hippocampus. Clinical Autonomic Research. 25(4): 213-218, 2015.
Sugawara, J. and H. Tanaka. Impacts of leg blood flow restriction during walking on central blood pressure. American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology. 309(7): R732-R739, 2015.
Tanaka, H. and D. Suksom. Letter to the editor: Mind-body exercises. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine. 9(6): 459, 2015.
Tarumi, T., M.M. Gonzales, B. Fallow, N. Nualnim, J.S. Lee, H. Tanaka, and A.P. Haley. Cerebral/peripheral vascular reactivity and neurocognition in middle-aged athletes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 47(12): 2595-2603, 2015.
Kaur, S.S., M.M. Gonzales, D.E. Eagan, K. Goudarzi, H. Tanaka, and A.P. Haley. Inflammation as a mediator of the relationship between cortical thickness and the metabolic syndrome. Brain Imaging and Behavior. 9(4): 737-743, 2015.
Jaruchart, T., N.C. Suwanwela, H. Tanaka, and D. Suksom. Arterial stiffness is associated with age-related differences in cerebrovascular conductance. Experimental Gerontology. 73:59-64, 2015.
Chuensiri, N., H. Tanaka, and D. Suksom. The acute effects of supramaximal high-intensity intermittent exercise on vascular function in lean vs. obese prepubescent boys. Pediatric Exercise Science. 27(4): 503-509, 2015.
Lim, J., M.E. Pearman, W. Park, M. Alkatan, D.R. Machin, and H. Tanaka. Impact of blood pressure perturbations on arterial stiffness. American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology. 309(12): R1540-R1545, 2015.
- National Institute on Aging Pepper Center study section member
- American Heart Association behavioral science, epidemiology, & prevention peer review committee chair
- Research Administration Volunteer Recognition Award, American Heart Association
- Top 25 Reviewers, Journal of Applied Physiology
- Frontiers in Physiology Research Host Award
- APS Star Review, Journal of Applied Physiology
- President Elect, Texas Chapter of American College of Sports Medicine
Current Research Projects and Grants
- Effects of fluid milk in attenuating hyperglycemia and hypertriglyceridemia after meal
- Hypotensive effects of whole milk
- Atherosclerosis risk in Communities ARIC study
- Vascular profile of Japanese pearl divers
- Role of changes in training stimuli with age on Masteres Athletes' performance
- Vascular function and cognition
- Aging and recovery from strenuous exercise
Research Interests and Expertise
- Physiological mechanisms and consequences of vascular aging
- Influence of lifestyle modifications (particularly habitual exercise) on vascular dysfunction and increased disease risk that occur with aging
- Masters athletes and changes in athletic performance with aging
- Utility of swimming exercise for disease prevention
- Myths and misconceptions in sports medicine and exercise science
Boards, Committees and Associations
- American College of Sports Medicine, Fellow
- American Heart Association, Fellow
- Gerontological Society of America, Fellow
- Society of Geriatric Cardiology, Fellow
- Texas Chapter of American College of Sports Medicine, President Elect