Please note: It is strongly recommended that you begin the application process well in advance of the deadline to allow enough time for the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) and the Department of Educational Psychology to process your information. During peak admissions periods there may be a delay of 2-3 weeks for GIAC to complete its review of materials.
Department application deadlines vary by area and program. Check deadlines for your specific area of interest.
- Complete the Apply Texas Application and submit Statement of Purpose Essay with online application
- Pay application fee or, if you qualify, submit fee waiver request to GIAC
- Submit official test score(s) to GIAC.
GRE: The Department requires the GRE General Test including the verbal, quantitative and writing sections. Plan to take the GRE in time to have the results reported to UT Austin before the application deadline. To be considered official, scores must be sent directly from the testing agency. Test scores more than five years old will not be accepted.
TOEFL: International applicants must submit official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores
The University of Texas at Austin school code is 6882. It is not necessary to also list a Department Code when ordering your scores.
- Submit transcripts to GIAC. There are two methods
for submitting your transcript(s):
a. If your college or university is on the Texas Electronic Transcript Network (SPEEDE), you can have your transcript(s) sent electronically. Check with the registrar of your institution to find out if transcripts can be sent via the SPEEDE server. UT does not accept electronic transcripts sent by registrars or third-party entities in any other format, i.e., by mail or by links to secure web sites.
b. You may upload a PDF of your transcript(s) after you have submitted your application for admission and paid the application fee. After you have submitted your application you will receive an email that contains a link to the Status Check web site where you will be able to upload your transcript. The uploaded transcript(s) is considered to be unofficial but will be used to process your application for admission. Please do not mail official transcripts or paper copies of your transcripts unless you are offered admission. Sending paper copies of documents you have uploaded will significantly delay the processing of your application. Instructions for uploading transcripts (pdf). Remember, you will not be able to upload transcripts until your application fee is paid. Contact GIAC.
A note about international transcripts:
- If documents are written in a language other than English, complete and official English translations must be uploaded together with the original language records. Each transcript (mark sheet) should contain a complete record of studies at the institution from which it is issued (i.e., the subjects taken and grades [marks] earned in each subject.
- Please do not upload your college or university syllabi with your transcript(s) or mark sheets.
- You must upload a copy of your diploma or degree certificate as part of your transcript. Do not try to upload it as a miscellaneous admission document.
- Three Letters of Recommendation should be submitted online. When completing the “References” section of the online application (ApplyTexas), you will be asked to list the names of your references and their email addresses. Be sure the e-mail address is current and accurate. You will also be asked whether you will be waiving your right to view your letters after they are submitted. Once your application has been received by GIAC, an e-mail will be sent directly to your recommenders with a link that will allow them to complete their recommendation letter online. You may need to follow up with any referee who overlooks submitting a letter for you, as each recommender will receive only one request from GIAC. You will be able to view whether letters have been received, or change/add a recommender, via GIAC's status check page.
- Submit Resume or Vita online. Once you have submitted your ApplyTexas application and paid the application fee, you will be able to upload your Resume or Vita using GIAC's status check page. You must pay the application fee before you can upload your Resume or Vita.
After you submit your application and supporting documents, it is important that you monitor the progress of your file by checking both GIAC status check page and the Department's online status check.