Only degree-seeking students enrolled at UT Austin are eligible to apply for the UTeach Urban Teachers undergraduate certification program. Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in an accepted major. If you have questions about the application process or how your major qualifies for the program, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: you should be applying for the program in the spring of your junior year at UT.
Application window opens: January 19. -- Priority Deadline is Feb 19
Please read this whole page before starting your application
There are three steps to the application procedure:
1 Make contact with a UTUT advisor to introduce yourself, address coursework recommendations, and learn about the program.
2 Apply and submit the application essay online through the Professional Development Sequence (PDS).
3 While your PDS application is under review, you will receive an email from us with instructions for applying to Breakthrough Austin, the site for UTUT’s summer internship component.
STEP 1: Contact the College of Eduction advisor, Antoinette Stanley Hart, to review your timeline, AND then speak with the advisor for your program area of UTeach Urban Teachers.
- For general questions about the application process, your eligibility, and to choose a subject area: UTUT Outreach: email@example.com
- College of Ed. Advising: Antoinette Stanley Hart: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ELA advisor: Dr. Allison Skerrett: ASkerrett@utexas.edu
- SS advisor: Melissa Williams: email@example.com
STEP 2: Submit your application and essay online through the Professional Development Sequence (PDS).
This application is part of the UTDirect system and requires an EID.
- The PDS application for undergraduate programs is available here: https://www.utexas.edu/education/pdsapp/
- Follow the directions through the online system to create a TEAL account and receive an assigned TEA ID number
- You will also upload your application essay online. Please prepare your essay ahead of time in response to this prompt:
UTUT Application Essay: Please double-space; approximately 500 words
Describe your understanding of the dynamics and importance of linguistically and culturally diverse learning contexts and your future role as a classroom teacher. You are encouraged to reference personal and professional experiences as well as any scholarly work that has influenced your decision to become a classroom teacher through the UTeach Urban Teachers program. Please mention what content area you would like to teach: English Language Arts or Social Studies.
STEP 3: Once your PDS application is received and under review, you will receive an email from us. At this time, you will apply separately to Breakthrough Austin.
Students begin the program in an intensive summer experience: two courses (6 credits) during summer sessions I-II, carefully planned in concert with a full-time, paid position at Breakthrough Austin. This mandatory program component requires a separate application for employment with Breakthrough Austin.
Please do not apply to Breakthrough Austin before receiving an email from us with specific details related to our program!