Announcing the 2015 Master Reading Teacher Institute at UT Austin
WHEN: June 8th through July 2nd, 2015; Mon-Thurs. 9:00AM-4:00PM
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 23, 2015
WHERE: The University of Texas at Austin
INFO: The Master Reading Teacher program is offered in cooperation with the Texas Reading Initiative with a goal of improving the quality of reading instruction in the state. The Institute has been designed with the major content learning goals identified by the Texas legislature (House Bill 2307) in creating the Master Reading Teacher Certificate. These learning goals include the development of teachers’:
- knowledge of reading instruction and assessment across age groups and developmental levels;
- appropriate use and interpretation of reading assessments that inform instruction;
- awareness of the performance standards intended to guide instructional planning and goal setting;
- knowledge of the relationships between primary and second language and how to build on these understandings;
- knowledge and use of the characteristics, qualities, and needs of students with reading difficulties; and,
- understanding of professional leadership skills involving mentoring, collaboration, and research.
Those who successfully complete this program will be eligible to take the state examination for the Master Reading Teacher certificate. Program completion and passing this examination are two of the requirements for certification. Teachers who successfully complete all the certification requirements and teach on a “high needs” campus designated by the Commissioner of Education may be eligible for a $5,000 stipend.
We urge you to visit the State Board of Education Certification (SBEC) website to get the most updated information on the Master Reading Teacher Certificate. You can find specific information on the examination schedule as well as test preparation materials.
For information about applying to this program, please download pdf
For questions about the program email Jim Hoffman.