Office & Hours
Office: SZB 334A
Courses of Instruction
Research on Adolescent Literacy In and Out of School
Sociocultural Influences on Learning
Teaching Secondary English and Reading
The University of Texas at Austin
Curriculum & Instruction
1 University Station
Austin, TX 78729-0379
UT Mail Code: D5700
Dr. Skerrett is an associate professor in the Language and Literacy Studies program area and an affiliate faculty member in the Cultural Studies in Education program area. Her teaching and research interests include secondary English education, adolescent literacy, and sociocultural influences on teaching and learning.
Ph.D., Curriculum & Instruction, Boston College, 2007
Skerrett, A., & Bomer, R. (2011). Borderzones in adolescents' literacy practices: Connecting out-of-school literacies to the reading curriculum. Urban Education, 46(6), 1256-1279.
Skerrett, A. (2011). "Wide open to rap, tagging and real life:" Preparing teachers for multiliteracies pedagogy. Pedagogies: An International Journal, 6(3), 185-199.
Skerrett, A. (2010). Of literary import: A case of cross-national similarities in the secondary English curriculum in the United States and Canada. Research in the Teaching of English, 45(1), 36-58.
Skerrett, A., & Hargreaves, A. (2008). Student diversity and secondary school change in a context of increasingly standardized reform. American Educational Research Journal, 45(4), 913-945.
Skerrett, A. (2008). "Going the race way:" Biographical influences on multicultural and antiracist English curriculum practices. Teaching and Teacher Education, 24,1813-1826.
- The University of Texas Summer Research Award, 2011
- Dean's Fellowship, College of Education, The University of Texas at Austin, 2011-2012
Current Research Projects and Grants
Borderzones in adolescents' literacy practices.
Preparing secondary English pre-service teachers for multiliteracies pedagogy.
Research Interests and Expertise
Secondary English Curriculum, Adolescent Literacy, Multicultural Education, Sociocultural Influences on Teaching and Learning
Boards, Committees and Associations
- Research in the Teaching of English, an NCTE Journal, Editorial Board, 2012-Present
- American Educational Research Association, Educational Change Special Interest Group, Program Chair (2009-2012).
- International Reading Association's 2010 Standards for Reading Professionals Revision Committee (2008-2010)
- International Reading Association, Research Committee (2010-Present).
- Literacy Research Association, Student Outstanding Research Award Committee (2010-2012).