Christopher P. Brown
Associate Professor; Program Coordinator and Graduate Advisor for Early Childhood Education
Office & Hours
Office: SZB 528N
Courses of Instruction
Teaching Young Children
Early Childhood Program Development
Social Contexts of Early Childhood Education
Early Childhood Education Programs
Critical Perspectives in Early Childhood Education
Case Study Research
Curriculum theories for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten
Introduction to Systems of Human Inquiry
The University of Texas at Austin
Curriculum & Instruction
1 University Station
Austin, TX 78712-0379
UT Mail Code: D5700
His research interest centers on understanding how practicing and pre-service early childhood educators in public teaching contexts can support the cultural, individual, and developmental learning needs of children. He has looked at this issue across a range of political and educational contexts using multiple theoretical and practitioner-based perspectives that span the fields of early childhood education, curriculum and instruction, teacher education, and policy analysis.
Such work has led to empirical, theoretical, and practitioner-oriented publications on such topics as: high-stakes standards-based accountability reform in early childhood, early learning standards, pre kindergarten (pre-k) assessment, pre-k alignment with elementary school, school readiness, culturally relevant and developmentally appropriate teaching, neoliberal reform, teacher education, and teaching a mandated curriculum.
Ph.D., Curriculum and Instruction. The University of Wisconsin-Madison (2004).
M. A., Curriculum and Instruction. New Mexico State University (1997).
B.A., Philosophy. The University of the South--Sewanee (1993).
Research Interests and Expertise
Early childhood education reform
Culturally relevant and developmentally appropriate teaching
Early childhood teacher education
Pre-kindergarten and kindergarten
Teaching in a high-stakes and standardized context
Brown, C. P., & Lan, Y. C. (Forthcoming). How teachers’ developmentally appropriate practices influence children’s cognitive development: A qualitative metasynthesis. Teachers College Record.
Brown, C. P. (Forthcoming). Conforming to reform: Teaching pre-kindergarten in a neo-liberal early education system. Journal of Early Childhood Research.
Brown, C. P., Mowry, B., & Feger, B. (Forthcoming). Rigorous developmentally appropriate practice: Helping others understand academic rigor in teachers’ developmentally appropriate practices. Young Children.
Brown, C. P., Pickard, H. (Forthcoming). Balancing the school readiness equation in early learning environments. Childhood Education.
Brown, C. P. (2013). Reforming preschool to ready children for academic achievement: A case study of the impact of pre-k reform on the issue of school readiness. Early Education and Development, 24, 554-573.
Brown, C. P., & Mowry, B. (2013). Balancing preschool and academic rigor. Principal, 92, 52-53.
Brown, C. P., & Lee, J. E. (2012). How to teach to the child when the stakes are high: Examples of implementing developmentally appropriate and culturally relevantpractices in pre-kindergarten. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 33, 322-348.
Brown, C. P., & Gasko, J. W. (2012). Why should pre-k be more like elementary school? A case study of pre-k reform. Journal of Research in Childhood Education, 26, 264-290.
- Recipient, Regents’ Outstanding Teaching Award, The University of Texas System, 2013.
- Recipient, National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators Foundation Research Award, 2013.
- Recipient, Division K, Teaching and Teacher Education, of the American Educational Research Association Award for Exemplary Research in Teaching and Teacher Education, 2011.
- Recipient, National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators/Taylor Francis Outstanding Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education Journal Article Honorable Mention, 2011.
Boards, Committees and Associations
- Chair, Early Education/Child Development Special Interest Group, American Educational Research Association
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators
- Association for Childhood Education International
- Editorial Board Member, Springer book series, Educating the Young Child: Advances in Theory and Research, Implications for Practice
- Phi Delta Kappa